Monday, September 12, 2005

Football and Poker Weekend

My big football weekend started this week with, of course, a baseball game. Friday night I came upon two tickets to the Tigers/Royals game. Having nothing of note planned for the night, Jen and I decided it would be fun to head out to the Copa and see the Tigers play a team who actually has a worse record than them. We figured it was a good bet that they'd end their double digit losing streak....HA!

By the time we left the game in the 4th or 6th or whatever inning it was before the 7th, the Royals had already peppered the Tigers for 10 runs while the home team could only muster one. Our seats were so close to the bullpen, 6 rows directly behind it, that I had to leave the game before I started to imply to the pitching staff that I would have given up less than ten runs in that short span, and risk getting ejected from the game or relocated like some fans earlier in the week when the umpire decided he was also head of security at Comerica Park for the day. I certainly wouldn't have given up the home run that one of the Royals pounded into the right field stands, but that's because I lack the power to throw a ball fast enough to have it travel that far after being struck by only a slight piece of lumber. That was all very bad, but the cherry on top had to be Pudge's baserunning error. Sliding into second to try and break up a double play Pudge is called safe when the shortstop drops the ball. Pudge then gets up and jogs toward the dugout thinking he was tagged out on the play. And this is our marquee player???



Anyway, the final score ended up being 12-2....well after we exited the park and headed over to the town pump for a bite and a drink. The end of the night came pretty early for us as Fridays all seem rather long now that I get up so early....
So after the horrible baseball game I sat through, I was looking forward to some good, hard hitting U of M football....yeah, that was a waste of three hours. Henne played poorly, Hart was injured and left the game early, when the Henne finally got the ball to our WRs, they acted like the ball was going to explode if they caught it....all this and we only lost by a TD. NIU showed us a bad team could stay with us if we didn't play our A game, and Notre Dame just took that one step further.
Later that night we headed out to Michelle and Bill's for a little poker. Small game, small buy-in, small time play on my part....I played loose/aggressive and finished out of the money each of the three games....I was the big stack for most of the first game and played pretty well, but lost four consecutive "coin-flip" hands late in the game when I had others all-in. I guess I really can't complain about my play in the first game, just the results....
My only ray of sunshine for the weekend ended up being the Lions....go figure. Green Bay has had our number for a while now, basically since Barry retired, and we ended up pulling out a victory in a game that was a lot closer than the score indicates.
At least I have a lot of work to look forward to this week....

No comments: