Thursday, November 19, 2009

Another Small Step



Last night I picked Kira up for the first time in a while. I'd only tried it once since my accident and nearly dropped the poor dog once I got her most of the way up and a biting pain shot through my shoulder and all the way into my hand. I obviously wasn't ready for anything like that yet.

The attempt last night went a lot smoother. I walked around holding her tight to my chest for a couple minutes before she got a little antsy, and my arm started to fatigue....maybe she noticed my fatigue before I did. After I put her down on her couch, she jumped around a little bit with that "are we gonna wrestle? cause I am gonna kick your *ss for doing that to me" kind of nervous excitement.

Unfortunately for my little ball of golden hate, it was not the time nor the place to wrestle, and she had to settle for a big hug and a kiss on top of the head to calm her down. Even if it was, after lugging her around for a couple minutes, my arm was in no mood to play. It didn't hurt, per se, but it wasn't up for wrestling with the dogs....that's for sure.

Today I am crazy sore from that simple little thing. It's great that I was able to do it at all, but holding a 75 lb dog to my chest for only a couple minutes making my shoulder tight and sore might not be the best sign for my recovery. Better, yes. Completely healed, still waiting on that one.

I'll see if I can get to the gym today and/or tomorrow to test the shoulder out a little more. Until I can try some light lifting with it to see how it reacts, I'll have to settle for all the stretching I do with it throughout the day. I'll say one thing at least, when it IS finally healed....it's gonna be a lot more limber than it was before. Now I just need to think of ways to put that to good use.

No comments: