Saturday, January 03, 2015

The Slant to Calvin is Always Open



If we're only ever looking back
We will drive ourselves insane
As the friendship goes resentment grows
We will walk our different ways
-Bad Blood, Bastille

Heard this today, and it stuck in my head for some reason.  I've got no bad blood for anyone or anything at the moment, as a matter of fact just the opposite, but it stuck with me.  I've actually learned the hard way that harboring bad blood can have some pretty terrible effects down the road.  I lost a really good friend brooding over some stupid shit as a young teenager.  It's one of the few things in my life I regret, and I know it's had a lasting impact on my life.  I never had an easy time making or keeping friends as a kid.  I was a bit of a shit, in a much different way than I am today, and friends were kinda disposable to me for a very long time.  The world was a much smaller place back then, and the friends made at school would still be around to try and rekindle a friendship with if I did in fact dispose of my friendship for one reason or another.

Anyway, that wasn't a tangent I was planning on going off on....nor am I ready to follow through with where it was going to go.  Maybe sometime soon I will be in the mood to talk about it, but not today.  Now, it's not like I had an actual plan of anything to talk about today, but that is surely not where this post is going to go.  Instead, I will slant it toward the football.

Wild Card Weekend starts today, and this is yet another year I'll be stuck at work when the first game starts.  However, unlike the last few years, I won't be able to watch any of it while at work, unless I leave our office.  Our cable is out, and will be for at least a few days, and even though it's usually just on a news station in the background, except for game days, I've come to learn just how eerily quite this office is on the weekend without it.  Luckily, I've now got Sundays off and can check out the Lions @ Dallas tomorrow from the comfort of home, while eating Primo's pizza and hanging out with some friends. 

I'll also get to watch all of the Baltimore/Pittsburgh game tonight as we cheer on the Ravens.  While she says she doesn't care much about them this year, it's always fun to watch my wife during a Ravens game, especially in the playoffs.  While I get a little shit here and there from her about how into football I am, it's quite obvious that watching her favorite team play in big games is a lot like when I watch either of my teams....except her team has actually won a couple Super Bowls in the 2000s, something I cannot say. 

While the football will be nice, just getting away from work for a few days will be nice.  There hasn't been much work to do the last couple weeks because of the holidays, but I've still had some pretty long days, and I'm still not completely adjusted to my new schedule.  While it gives me Sundays off and my weekend now spans 3.5 days, it's hard getting all my hours in within such a short period of time.  When I leave here on Saturday evenings, I feel a huge weight fall from my shoulders.  It'll surely be that way here in a few hours.

Time to end the rambling of the day and finish up my thing.  It's not a perfect thing, but there is now a thing where there was not a thing before.

No comments: