Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A Game of Thrones



OK, I am NOT going back to my old habit of making sure to get one post out a month. Of course I want to get at least one out every month, but I need to make sure to take my time here and there to post a little something, even if there isn't much going on to talk about. For a while there early this year, my voice here was strong and frequent....now it seems to have become an insignificant whisper.

I'm not going to make any promises, not going to make any resolutions, not going to make any guarantees. The only thing I am going to make is an effort to post more. What it all comes down to, really, is that this blog is for me. Make no mistakes, I enjoy having the few people who care enough to read it....but in the end it is all for me. And I need to make sure to do more posting....for me.

With that all being said, I recently finished a book I never would have thought to read, but came across it by chance. A couple months ago I was digging around to find out some information on AFI's new album "Crash Love" and, more importantly to me, see if I could find out how the tour for the album would affect the next release from Blaqk Audio. For those who don't know, Blaqk Audio is comprised of two of the four members of AFI.

I found my way to Jade Puget's (one of the members of both bands) blog, Shy Boys Win, and saw this blurb about the book in his recommendations: "I don't think I've ever recommended a fantasy epic, so here you go. This series is so good it had me running frantically around Berlin on tour, trying to find an English language version of the next book."

I decided that was quite an endorsement, and seeing as I admire his creativity, along with the fact that he went against the grain here by recommending a fantasy epic, I picked up the book to check it out. Fantasy epics aren't my thing either, but I figured I would try it on for size and, worst case scenario, pass it on to a friend if I didn't like it.

Well, I liked it. So much so, that before I completed the first title, I ordered the rest of the series that is already available. There are currently four (of seven) out right now, with the 5th one just around the corner. I am hoping that the fifth book comes out around the time I finish the fourth. Seeing as they are pretty long books and that I will be starting up classes again in January, that should give the author/publishing company time to get their heads out of their respective arses and get the book in print already.

So here I sit, blogging....when all I want to do it pick up the second book and get deeper into it. Now that I think about it....that sounds like a rather good idea. Time to wrap up here and grab my book.

2 comments:

SirFWALGMan said...

A favorite book of Bloggers. Dr. Chacko and his wife got me into that series. It was very good.

JAS said...

I am a fantasy reader, and this is by far the best series I have read out of the 200+ fantasy books in my collection. HBO purchased the rights to this series and just finished filming the pilot for a possible new HBO series. Fingers are crossed that they do a great job!