Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Christmas Recap

So how was your Christmas? Personally I had one of the most laid back, chilled out, stress free weekends I've had in years. On Christmas day none of us left the house, and that was nice. We had food and basketball and football and even watched a little poker. Our gift giving was short and sweet and I think my parents got more for the dogs than they did for anyone else.

Then my mom decides it's time for negotiations...."Hey, do you still think I should quit smoking?"

"Of course, it'd be great for your health."

"OK, then how about this?"

This is where I begin to panic. My mother has only agreed to quit smoking for one thing....ever....and that's a grandchild. And I would be all for that if my parents had only supplied me with a sibling or two, but being an only child makes that a little difficult for me to support. And I swear to God if this is another push at getting me to settle down and start a family before I....

"If you lose say 20-25 pounds in 2006, then I will quit smoking."

Did I hear this right? After so much fuss about the smoking issue and the grandbaby first mentality did she just say lose a few pounds and I'll quit? My response was short and came out almost immediately.

"Done."

So maybe this is the push I need to get back in shape after more than a year of sitting on my arse and plumping up at the 9-5. Every job I've ever had involved standing, walking, or running for a good portion of my shift. In my latest position at the 9-5 I've been sitting for about 8.5 hours and only standing/walking for about 30 minutes a day. That's a big change and my waistline has reflected it. Now I have a week to map out and implement a workout plan and diet that will help me drop my BMI rating from "I can't believe you haven't had a heart attack yet" to the coveted "Well, at least you aren't as fat as most other Americans".

I weighed in at about 235 last night and 25 pounds seems like nothing really. I could get that done by February if I really needed to, but boy would I be a grouchy em-effer for the month of January if that were the case.

I'll do my official weigh in at the gym on the 2nd, and track my progress until I reach my goal. It doesn't make for interesting reading, but I'm sure I'll end up posting that here on a semi-regular basis.

No comments: