Friday, December 16, 2005

Vegas Afterglow

It's not so much an afterglow as it's about three days of separation anxiety and heavy under-eye baggage....The more I go to Vegas, the less likely it is that I will end up back in Michigan. This time was extremely hard to cope with. Had I been lucky enough to take a fitness exam and face an oral board out there on this trip, I might be looking for housing in Henderson right now. The department has urged me to apply again because I was very near the cutoff date and might not have even been considered because they got the number of applicants they wanted before I even turned mine in....so not all hope is lost. Although I would love to do it, it's hard to imagine that it would be the best thing for me. How long before I seriously think I could make a good life playing poker? I don't have the constitution of a high stakes player. I like stability in my life, and that goes out the window the minute you let the cards determine whether or not your bills will get paid for a given month, or even year....I know that it's a game of skill more than luck, but luck is still in the equation.

I handle bad beats pretty well, unless I hit a rash of them in one night or, God forbid, a week. But I play low stakes with money I have already written off as gone. Had I to play for rent money or food money, would I be able to take those beats without beating the hell out of one of the donkeys who laid it on me? The answer is probably....knowing me, I'd end up picking the biggest donkey of the bunch and get my own ass beat on top of losing my money. At least I'd have a hard time getting the word "rebuy" out if my jaw was wired shut....

I am still piecing together last weekend's events, and hope to have the first of my five posts done later tonight or tomorrow, with the others following soon thereafter. Stay tuned for my somewhat coherent babbling about my somewhat unsober affairs....

No comments: