Monday, March 19, 2007

St Patrick's Suckage

Well my 9-5 completely botched my plans for St Patrick’s Day. Instead of going out and celebrating with my friends all night and getting pretty well shit faced, I worked a 12 hour shift from 6p-6a. Boo!

After working five straight 12 or 13 hour afternoon/midnight shifts I got up early enough on Saturday to go out and hang with some friends at the bar before I went into work. I was tired, and only about 1/3 of our crew showed up before I had to leave for work, but I still had a good time. Although, it was very weird being the only completely sober person in the bar on St Patty’s Day. A feeling I hope I never experience again.

Driving to work I was already getting texts from my friends saying how much it sucked that I had to work and that they really wanted to hang out with me that night. My responses were pretty simple and short and agreeable, but the whole time I was thinking, “I already know this….I am the one on his way to work for the night.”

It was nice to know that my friends were looking forward to me being there, but of little solace to me as I faced my favorite bar night of the year all alone at work.

At first I thought it would be an ok night because I got two drunk dials from friends by 8 o’clock. Those ended up being the only two though and my night wasn’t as interesting as I would have thought with all of my friends out drinking. At one point I got a text saying that “everyone is crazy” but not much in the way of drunken mutterings after Rob called me and sang the song from Bodyguard to me. Ironically enough, about two hours after that call I was flipping through TV stations in one of the lounges at work and saw that Bodyguard was actually on.

I briefly talked to Sarah on her way from the Brand New concert to the going away house party she was attending that night. I was very glad to hear that she thought that concert was the best one she had seen yet, even though the opening band with the lame name sucked. After a couple minutes on the phone with me she noticed exactly how many drunk drivers were out and decided it would be best to drive without the phone distracting her.

Later on, after a few texts back and forth, I got one that told me to ignore her the rest of the night because she was drinking and gets stupid when she drinks. Seemed like I might get some interesting calls or texts after all, but that was the last I heard from her for the night. Guess she was too worried about her drunk skating form to think about drunk dialing or texting anyone.

The bright side to missing out on St Patty’s Day is that after doing some rough figuring about how much I am going to make from all this crazy OT, I have been looking at the WSOP schedule for this year and found a couple events that I could put this money toward. The last couple years I’ve thought that if I stayed on my game for a couple months leading up to the WSOP and got even a little bit of luck in an event, I could be a serious contender for a bracelet. Of course that’s not possible if you don’t enter any events, but this could very well be the year I put my money where my mouth is. A lot will depend on the traveling costs associated with a week in Vegas during the WSOP, but if it’s not so much that I’d have to borrow from my bankroll to fund it, I could easily see myself there in late June.

No comments: