Friday, September 18, 2009

Moonless Night


Sometimes the smallest things can send me into my deepest thoughts, and often about something which would seem, at first, totally unrelated.
BEFORE YOU, MY LIFE WAS LIKE A MOONLESS NIGHT
The last two weeks, I have been greeted by Venus and the moon as I walked out the door every morning for work, and then had them guide me through my commute, both of them hanging in front of me for almost all of my drive.
VERY DARK, BUT THERE WERE STARS- POINTS OF LIGHT AND REASON
Each morning, less and less of the moon would wake with me, slowly waning into a sliver of a crescent, while Venus didn't even blink. This morning, not even the slightest bit of moonlight shone upon me as I dutifully walked to my truck. My path today, lit only by Venus.
AND THEN YOU SHOT ACROSS MY SKY LIKE A METEOR
I scanned the radio stations as I drove in, never hearing what was actually playing, while my mind did it's own version of scanning. Jumping from one loosely related subject to the next, my thoughts bounced throughout my brain, touching even the most remote of thoughts hidden in my dark corners.
SUDDENLY EVERYTHING WAS ON FIRE;
I thought about everything. I thought about nothing.
THERE WAS BRILLIANCY, THERE WAS BEAUTY
My mind settled into a topic to ponder, the cyclical nature of life, as I drew close to my destination, the unyielding light of Venus staring straight at me, and the moon most noticeably absent.
WHEN YOU WERE GONE
My thoughts bounded from my own life, to the lives of those close to me, to the lives of people in general and as a whole. Then a random thought from last night popped into my head, and my focus shifted from thoughts of life, to thoughts of death.
WHEN THE METEOR HAD FALLEN OVER THE HORIZON
As I laid me down to sleep last night, my mind began the unwinding process. One of the random thoughts, or more so a mental picture, was of myself dead and about to be buried. I didn't actually see myself dead, but I saw the grave I was about to be buried in and just knew it was mine. The only reason I found this strange was because I plan to be cremated, not buried. The fact that I was dead didn't bother me, but the fact that I was being buried kinda did.
EVERYTHING WENT BLACK
I don't know why this random thought jumped into my head as I was thinking about life, but I guess it's not a big stretch to go from one to the other.
NOTHING HAD CHANGED, BUT MY EYES WERE BLINDED BY THE LIGHT
With my thoughts now shifted to death, it didn't take me long to start questioning my own thoughts about something similar to death, but not death in and of itself. I found myself asking why we have a word dedicated to the period of time AFTER your existence is over, but not one for before your existence has even begun. We aren't, then we are, then we aren't again. Isn't that the cycle of life in a nutshell? Then why isn't there an accepted word, at least not known to me, for the period of time before we are born?
I COULDN'T SEE THE STARS ANYMORE
What a crazy question to come to, just because I couldn't see the moon this morning. I am often in awe at how my mind gets from point A to point B....and sometimes I just gotta say WTF?
AND THERE WAS NO MORE REASON FOR ANYTHING
I guess WTF could be described as a state of awe, but not the kind I'd generally strive for.

No comments: