Saturday, July 03, 2010

Days Off


The last few years, I have gotten pretty spoiled in terms of my days off. I always had the weekends off unless I volunteered to work the OT when it was available. For the foreseeable future, I will be working just about every Saturday and Sunday, with my days off being sometime during the normal work week. I have also been spoiled in the fact that I pretty much always worked day shifts, unless I asked for/agreed to work an early afternoon shift for one reason or another. This weekend I am working three consecutive midnight shifts.

I technically don't have Saturday, Sunday, or Monday off during this long holiday weekend....in reality, I kinda do. I don't normally sleep all that much at night as it is, so working the night shift and having an option of sleeping right before or right after work isn't so bad. Truth be told, on the days that my light sleep schedule catches up with me I will often sleep right after work as well as right before work. It's pretty much the same on midnights, I just haven't had a chance to get used to it.

Today I slept on and off throughout the day, but the flexibility of not having to be at work during the day let me take advantage of the time I wanted to, and sleep at the time I wanted to. I know it wasn't as efficient of a sleep pattern as I could have had, but I enjoyed the day much more than had I just slept straight through the morning into the afternoon. I hope to do the same thing tomorrow, then with Monday and Tuesday being my actual days off, I can do whatever I please with sleep or anything else.

While I couldn't head out of town with Mark, Mike and Dave for the weekend....I'm not completely unhappy that I am here with this schedule. Things have worked out rather well so far.

No comments: