Thursday, July 01, 2010

Six Months Behind Us, Six Months to Go

July 1st brings our state a ban on texting. While I like the theory of this, the practice will probably be useless unless it's STRICTLY enforced. What the law itself is going to do is stop the cautious, law-abiding drivers to stop texting. These are the folks who would probably be the most responsible of texting drivers out there, the ones who wait for breaks in traffic or optimal times to text while driving (if there is such a thing).

What it's NOT going to do is stop the ones who just don't give a f*ck from texting while driving, and these are the ones who end up accidentally sharing a lane with me on the highway when I am riding. The only thing I think that will eventually stop that crowd is strict enforcement, like the seat belt patrols you see every now and again. When the seat belt law came into effect in MI years ago, the result was pretty much the same. The responsible people listened, the rest didn't. It wasn't until it was made a primary offense and the fines were upped that it began to really make an impact on drivers as a whole.

July; The Month of Many Concerts

This month starts with me attending a concert, and will end with a concert as well. Tonight is The Scorpions and Cinderella at DTE Energy Music Theater. The 31st is Kings of Leon, also at DTE. I also have tickets for 311/The Offspring as well as the Goo Goo Dolls/Switchfoot. Both of those at....DTE of course.

From the very first concert I ever went to at DTE (it was still Pine Knob then), I completely dug the venue. I got lucky the first few years I went to concerts there because I always got lawn tickets, and it never rained. I think the first time I actually got pavilion tickets was the first time I saw it rain there and how terrible that hill can be in inclement weather. Since then I have gone to very few concerts there where I haven't been in the pavilion. I'll be in the pavilion for all four shows this month, and while I will be dry if the weather takes a turn for the worse, I'll also be a little warmer than I'd like. It always seems to get hotter the closer you get to the stage. And I have to believe tonight is gonna be a hot night. ;-)

While the concerts give me something to look forward to nearly every week, there's plenty more for me to look forward to in the coming weeks....and all of this is much more important to me than a few shows. I'm eagerly awaiting everything that will happen over the next six months.

No comments: