Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Heat is (Back) On


Slowly but surely the temp is steadily climbing back up around here. When I checked the 10 day forecast before riding into work today, I saw that 98 degrees is predicted for Tuesday. It was only supposed to hit 89 today, but ran up to 94....right around the time I was driving around in a truck with little/no AC depending on how fast you drive.

Although it was ony about 87 when I left the house today, it was still pretty hot on the highway....even though my riding jacket is mesh. Stopping at a couple stoplights on the way was pretty terrible too. The one thing about my bike I don't like is that the cooling fan (for the engine, not the rider) blows the hot air away from front to back....meaning that my legs absorb most of the engine heat when stopped on a hot day. Guess that's one of the reasons I love to find riding routes where stopping is at a bare minimum. But, kinda like pizza, a "bad" ride is better than no ride at all, even if it is just a hot freeway ride to work.

With the Tigers hosting a game tomorrow night and the complete hell that is our parking situation on Mondays when there is a home game, I plan to ride tomorrow as well....as long as the weather plays along and there isn't any significant rain in the forecast. With that in mind, it's time to check the weather report again and see if I'm at risk for a wet ride home tonight. Owning a motorcycle in Michigan can be a real pain in the ass with the way the forecasts change. When I jumped in the shower before work, the forecast called for spotty showers up until the hour or so before I usually leave work. Now, it seems like the opposite. If we do get any rain it'll probably be right before and/or as I am riding home. Remind me again why I think rain gear is too expensive to be a priority yet.

No comments: