Friday, August 05, 2005

At Last....

My cards have come along....

Wednesday afternoon started off like a typical bad day, and I of course made it worse with a bad play on a short handed no limit table. After the table filled up a little more I reloaded and had another go at it and did OK even though the cards were still chilly. Getting bored with the one NLHE game I decided to fire up a $20 SNG where I am usually very confident, but was a little apprehensive to say the least after all of my consecutive losing sessions. My apprehension was gone after the first hand when I got KK in the big blind and pulled in a profit of 170 even after an ace flopped. That one hand seemed to cure everything for me. In the next 30 minutes I played rather well in both the NL ring game and the SNG where I was the chip leader for most of that time. Cards ran a little cold and I closed the ring game to focus on the other 4 players still in the SNG. This short stretch of cold cards was of the "great starting hand, terrible flop" variety and took me out of the chip lead. I remember saying something to Jen, who recently arrived at my house and was patiently watching while she waited for me to finish and take her to dinner, about how I would rather have rags and fold than these hands you are pretty much forced to play yet never hit....the poker gods were listening for once and that's exactly what happened.

From there out it was a little bumpy with a couple suckouts against me and one suckout in my favor, but then I got it back and was able to get inside everyone's mind and play puppet master until the end. All except for one hand that might have cost me 1st place had it not been for Jen. As I have said before she is a very good player and has a great grasp of the game. I haven't completely gone over the hand history yet but as I remember I had either AJ or KT suited, raised preflop and got one caller. I hit middle pair with a backdoor straight and flush draw. Caller pushes all in and I look at Jen who is shaking her head....I have him covered, but am not too sure I should call. For once I did the smart thing and listened to Jen, maybe I am finally getting wise even though I can't seem to grow up. Anyway, I went on to win and boost my confidence once more heading into our live game on Sunday.

No comments: