Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Cold Cards

So I am told that every poker player goes through this....it just takes a little time, play the way you normally would and it will all be fine soon. I'm still waiting.

Poker for me is not a job, it's not something I count on making money from at all. As a matter of fact, I have set aside a small bankroll to play with and when that is gone so is the online poker. I haven't lost that bankroll yet, but I sure am trying. Nevermind the fact that I have had six consecutive losing sessions online. Nevermind the fact that I can't win any of our home games anymore. The thing that bothers me most is that Jen currently holds a five game heads-up win streak against me. Don't get me wrong, Jen is a very good player and I don't mind losing to her. But this streak illustrates exactly how bad the cards have run for me lately. In a heads up game I'll give myself at least a 50-50 chance at winning against really good players. Against a pro, I'd say 3-1 or 4-1 against at the worst. Heads up is the best part of my game. With no other distractions or untimely bets by other players I have all the time in the world to get inside someone's head and think like they do, and I thank my great chess background for this. With any bit of luck, my B game will win against most players....but losing 5 in a row to one of the players I know the best is just uncanny.

Maybe this is the next big step I need to take on my way to being a top notch player....the only problem is, I don't know how to take the step. I've read a couple articles including a really good one from Daniel Negreanu, he is a much better writer than I had expected, but I am still stumped. I play low stakes, so I can't really lower the stakes and play it out. I like the game way to much to completely unplug, I just can't get over this frustration. Whatever the case may be, I just want to have fun playing on Sunday so I can build up a little more confidence before heading back up north for another townie poker tournament.

No comments: