Monday, March 06, 2006

Oscars Schmoscars

The Academy Awards lost what little respect I still had for them a few years back when they got so effing PC that they couldn't say, "And the winner is...." anymore. Give me a break. And how come the hypocrits of the academy announce the people who have gotten an Oscar as an Academy Award WINNER??? I thought there were no winners or losers. Shouldn't they be addressed as an Academy Award Recipient since they never won it in the first place? Unless of course they won the award when you were still allowed to actually win it, and not just receive it. Those actors would be grandfathered in as winners.

So I watched just enough of the show to see Philip Seymour Hoffman get the naked little gold guy (that statue always reminds me of Goldmember) for best actor, Reese Witherspoon get hers for best actress, and Jennifer Garner nearly tumble after tripping over herself or her dress. Now I think Hoffman is a great actor, and he did a tremendous job in Capote....but there is no way you could convince me that he deserved the Oscar over Joaquin Phoenix. I really don't remember who else was nominated, or if I even saw the movie they were in, but I know Joaquin did better with his part than Hoffman did, so logically he shouldn't have won it. Maybe that's just it. Maybe they don't say winner anymore because they know that not every recipient truly deserves to win....hmmm. I probably should have thought about that a long time ago.

So that happened last night. And the NFL extended their agreement deadline another 72 hours....again.

Saturday night the Pistons completely crumbled in the second half against the Lakers, after struggling to beat Seattle the night before, getting a clutch bucket from Rip with 0.2 seconds left in the game. But at least I got to go out and watch both games with some good company, even though I had to work this past Saturday AND Sunday.

No comments: