Friday, June 13, 2008

It Was Only a Matter of Time....

I'm breaking down and posting some poker content. Razz is terrible. When I am on, I can play the game very very well....when I'm not, I play like a fool. And it just so happens that Razz is the one poker variation that I can go on hard-core tilt while playing. Throw in a bunch of three of a kinds and three pair hands in one tourney, and I become unhappy. Such was the case tonight. I was already slightly on life tilt when I got home, had a splitting headache, and missed registering for the MSOP Heads-Up tourney on FT that I was looking forward to playing all week. So being the smart guy that I am, I decide the MSOP Razz event was more my calling for the day and decide to satellite my way in.

I play in a single table satellite where two seats are awarded. I play pretty well, get decent cards most of the tourney and find myself in 2nd chip position with only three players left. Of course I get a ton of bricks while the short stack makes good hands, and I finish third with nothing to show for an hour of Razz madness.

So I just buy in directly, feeling pretty good about my chances in the 643 person field. My patience and attention to detail when it comes to watching my opponents betting patterns should help me go deep into this tourney. Long story short, I finish 561st out of 643. A good hour into the tournament, but probably about two hours short of the money bubble. Way to go jackass.

Here is a microcosm of my Razz night. This wasn't the only time I saw this exact hand either.

UPDATE:
The good doctor is in Vegas covering the World Series as usual, here's what he had to say about today's Razz event that the MSOP event I played in was modeled after at 1% of the buy-in.

Event #26 Razz: The 5pm event just kicked off. I think FTrain is playing. I saw Jen Creason lurking around. She went deep in the Razz event in 2005. Yeah this is one of those existentialist days when I look out onto the Amazon floor and I think... what a bunch of fuckin' sadists. Only those twisted souls who thrive on pain are into this event. How do you prep for a Razz event at the WSOP? Wear a cup and invite all the neighborhood kids to come over and take turns kicking you in the junk. If you survive, you have balls of steel and can withstand the brutal insanity of Razz tournaments.

If you haven't already read Pauly's WSOP updates, go do it now. Hands down the cream of the blogger crop this time of the year. Show him some love.

No comments: