Monday, April 11, 2011

Day 17 – A song that makes you think of a family member


This one is a no-brainer for me....probably the easiest one I've seen yet. As a kid I used to see guys all over the place who claimed to be Viet Nam vets, looking for a handout with those little toothpick American flags for sale. One day when I was probably around 7 or 8 years old, one of those guys gave me a flag. I thought it was cool and was probably planning on using it for my GI Joe or He-Man forts when I got home. Well, the guy made the mistake of trying to get money out of my dad for that little flag. Long story short, the guy couldn't answer some very basic questions about being in the army and being "in country", and my dad lit him up....verbally.

My father has never talked too much about his time in Viet Nam. I know it's hard for him, and with the little bit I know about what he saw when over there, I completely understand. There are a few different songs that remind me of my dad, but this one is number one by far. Not only does it remind me of my father, it reminds me of what he did for his country, what he has done (and continues to do) for my mother and I, and how much I really love my old man and how I will always be proud to be his son. Even more, this song gives me chills by making me think about what he had to do and see while in the military....all before the age of 21.

Run Through the Jungle- Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Whoa, thought it was a nightmare,
Lo, it's all so true,
They told me, "Don't go walkin' slow
'Cause Devil's on the loose."

Better run through the jungle,
Better run through the jungle,
Better run through the jungle,
Woa, Don't look back to see.

Thought I heard a rumblin'
Callin' to my name,
Two hundred million guns are loaded
Satan cries, "Take aim!"

Over on the mountain
Thunder magic spoke,
"Let the people know my wisdom,
Fill the land with smoke."

No comments: