Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Page 45 - Valentine

Look at that....another national holiday, less than a week from the last.  Again, far be it for me to not celebrate a holiday.  While I'm rarely a fan of holidays that pressure you into buying things you don't need, just to keep the bottom line of the companies pushing that holiday healthy....I don't think Valentine's Day really fits into that category for me.  Most of us have busy lives.  Rarely do we take time to show the loved ones in our lives that we appreciate them.  Ideally, we would do that on random days throughout the year for no reason at all.  I try to do that, but am not always all that great at it.  Today is one of those days that kind of forces me to do that, though.
a
And I'm not saying that in a bitter way, but more out of appreciation.  I don't have to buy anything to show that I care.  And if I do, I can do so mindfully.  It's rarely the object that carries any meaning or value, it's the action.  The experience.  In the end, that's all life really is.  A collection of experiences.  I could give LM dozens of gifts and spend hundreds of dollars in the process.  I could also spend zero dollars, and do something for her.  Both would be very memorable. 
a
In the end, one mindful gift is all that I gave.  I know LM loves fresh flowers, so it was a perfect day to bring flowers into the house again.  Although that was easier said than done..  It took me three cycles of the traffic light for people in traffic to allow me to turn into the florist, and when I finally got into the parking lot....the dude that pulled in behind me and parked further from the shop ran past me as I was approaching the door, just to make sure to get in before me.  The guy thought he was pretty slick too when the woman helping him told him that he got the last dozen red roses left in the shop....but when she cam back, she let him know she was mistaken and that he had to change his order, because they were out.  It was even better when I picked up my waiting order, gave him a smug look, and walked out before he got anything....while he watched the Doctor who had bought all the roses he wanted, walk out the door with them right in front of me.

No comments: