Saturday, March 26, 2011

50 Day Song Challenge, Day 1



I too will be taking on this challenge that some of you may have read about here. Of course everyone doing this will put their own spin on it, so I figure that I will treat it like any post where I put up a song and take the lyrics I like the best, for whatever reason, and post those along with the song and whatever explanation I have for choosing the song I did. So, without further ado....here is number one of fifty.

Day 01 - A song from the first album you ever bought


The first part of this, figuring out which album was the first I ever bought, is a no-brainer. At the age of six I bought two copies of Michael Jackson's Thriller with my own money after it came out in 1982. One copy on vinyl, one on cassette. I was a huge Michael fan, and saved every bit of money I had to buy them. It's amazing to think how simple that time of my life was that the only thing I had to worry about financially was the one thing I was fixated on buying.


So, now here is the hard part....what song do I want to list? Thriller is an obvious choice, just for the level of impact the song and video had on pop culture. Not to mention it's the title track of the album. But just look at all the other popular songs on this album. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin', The Girl is Mine, Beat It, Billie Jean, Human Nature, and P.Y.T. There are only two on the entire album that I couldn't sing along with. This album was a monster compilation of songs.

Billie Jean and Thriller were by far my favorite videos from the album...but that doesn't really mean they were the best songs. And, to be honest....I don't even know if any of the other songs had a video. P.Y.T. and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' are fun songs, but I don't have any memories that involve either song. Human Nature and The Girl is Mine both have some memories associated with them for me, but Human Nature never really appealed to me all that much as a kid. The Girl is Mine, however has plenty of good memories for me including the night I listened to it over and over to make sure I knew all the lyrics to the song and who sang them....this was in response to a disagreement my older cousin and I had about who sang one of the lyrics, and was just a glimpse at the tenacity I could show to prove I am right when incorrectly told I am wrong. This is still a top pet peeve for me to this day. The song also highlighted the great relationship between Michael and Paul McCartney, which led to Paul accidentally giving Michael some great advice about buying the Beatles catalog....which had a HUGE impact on music and advertising for decades. So for me personally, and for pop culture, I believe The Girl is Mine is easily the most important song on the album.

Every Night She Walks Right In My Dreams
Since I Met Her From The Start
I'm So Proud I Am The Only One
Who Is Special In Her Heart

No comments: