Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Day 04 – A song by the first band/artist you saw live


This one is by far the easiest one to answer so far. The first concert I ever went to was at Tiger Stadium, which could be why I like outdoor venues so much for concerts, and it was the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" tour in 1994. I wasn't a huge fan of the Eagles, but liked them well enough, so when I had some friends show interest in going, I didn't hesitate to say yes.


Now at the time of this concert, Melissa Etheridge was just starting to get really big as a main stream artist, and The Eagles had her open the show for them....but she played nearly two hours before vacating the stage for the headliner. About an hour into her set, we started to boo her. At first it wasn't much, and it was just funny to us....but it didn't take too long for the rest of the crowd around us to join in, and soon thereafter we had the entire section booing her offstage. I guess we weren't the only group there just to see the Eagles.


Going into the concert, I only had one song that I really wanted to hear them perform; Hotel California. It was the one song from them I knew and liked really well. Not only was it the one song I wanted to hear live, it was what they opened the concert with. Excluding that whole Etheridge thing, it ended up being the first song I heard performed live. I was very happy about that, but I seemed to be one of the few at the time. Most people, including myself, were puzzled as to why they would open the concert with their strongest and most popular song, and a lot of others were seriously mad about it. I, on the other hand, was happy with it because after hearing it, I was free to do whatever I wanted without worrying about when they'd play it, and if I might miss it.


"You can check out anytime you like....but you can never leave"

No comments: