Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Day 05 – A song from your childhood


A few songs popped into my head when I read the day five directive. One of them was the Snoopy song I talked about in my Day 02 post. That would probably be the one I'd choose for this but since I already mentioned it in one post, I'll choose another today.

My first thought for this was simply, Happy Birthday. Lots of great memories from my childhood revolved around birthdays, and not just mine. I had a couple memorable birthdays as a kid, but a lot of memories I have with friends and family revolved around someone's birthday. But this song isn't just from my childhood, because I have plenty of recent memories involving birthdays too. So I am going to have to disqualify it right there.

Next I thought of the Christmas album that I had from Alvin and the Chipmunks because I know I listened to that plenty as a kid, but I don't have any memories really associated with it....so I moved on past that one too.

What I finally came up with wasn't a song that I listened to a lot when I was a kid, and when I did listen to it, it wasn't by choice. There is a small bar & grill in my town that has been a family hangout since before I was born. My father has a lot of siblings, and most of them lived within a mile or two of this bar when I was young, so it was a convenient meeting place...and the fact that they had cheap beer didn't hurt either. Well, the time I spent in there as a kid was occupied by the pinball machines, pool table, or the jukebox. As far as I remember, this song was the number one played song on that jukebox for YEARS.

Waiting on a Friend- The Rolling Stones.

A smile relieves a heart that grieves
Remember what I said
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend

Don't need a whore
I don't need no booze
Don't need a virgin priest
But I need someone I can cry to
I need someone to protect
Making love and breaking hearts
It is a game for youth
But I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend

No comments: