Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 06 – A song by your favourite band/artist


I don't think that any band could ever knock Pink Floyd off as king of the mountain for me. Some songs from NIN have a very personal meaning to me, and that is one band I will drop pretty much anything for to go see in concert. Tons of emotion in Trent's words and singing makes the songs wonderful, but seeing it up close in person is absolutely amazing. Muse is another of my favorite bands, and probably has the best chance of anyone to overtake Pink Floyd sometime in my life....but they will have to do a hell of a lot, for an awful long time to have a chance. Floyd put out quality music from the late 60s through the mid 90s, so Muse has a couple of decades til they get to that same level. Believe me, I really hope they do. Muse is by far my favorite active band.

So how do I pick just one song from Pink Floyd, when I can hardly ever listen to just one at a time? If I listen to one, it's usually four or five. So many songs have so many lyrics that hit me hard in one way or another. It's no secret that I have quite a wall up between myself and other people. There are very few people who have ever found their way inside, and a lot of those never would have made it if it wasn't for the album The Wall. Reading everything I could about Roger Waters and his thoughts and feelings about The Wall gave me a lot of insight into what was really going on with me when I was younger, but never realized on my own. Not only was this album my real introduction to Pink Floyd, it's not a stretch to say that it had a huge impact on the person I have become, and I like who I am today a lot more than the person I was on my way to being about 20 years ago. So I will be choosing a song from this album.

At one point or another in everyone's life, you feel alone. No matter how many people you have around you, nor how good your life may be to everyone on the outside looking in. We all have our times of doubt, fear, and loneliness. This song seems to illustrate those times best for me. I may never be able to express them well, but I feel this song about the depressive side of rock stardom does a great job for me.

Nobody Home- Pink Floyd.

I've got a little black book with my poems in.
Got a bag, with a toothbrush and a comb,
When I'm a good dog, they sometimes throw me a bone.

I got elastic bands keepin my shoes on.
Got those swollen hand blues.
I Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from.
I've got electric light.
And I got second sight.
Got amazing powers of observation.
And that is how I know
When I try to get through
On the telephone to you
There'll be nobody home.

I've got the obligatory Hendrix perm.
And the inevitable pinhole burns
All down the front of my favorite satin shirt.
I got nicotine stains on my fingers.
I got a silver spoon on a chain.
Got a grand piano to prop up my mortal remains.

I got wild staring eyes.
And I got a strong urge to fly.
But I got nowhere to fly to.
Ooooh, Babe when I pick up the phone

"Surprise, surprise, surprise..." (from Gomer Pyle show)
There's still nobody home.

I've got a pair of Gohills boots
and I got fading roots.

No comments: