Friday, January 22, 2010

Feelin' Groovy



It's truly amazing how the prospect of a couple days off and the right mix of music on the way to work can do for my mood. I was so tired and out of it when I got out of the shower this morning that my boxers ended up going on backwards, a fact that I was faced with not too long ago when I used the restroom and wondered where the hell my "access panel" went. Mind you, I don't wear boxers all that often, I only have two pair, but I still should have noticed as I put them on....or at the very least when I made my typical "adjustment" right after sliding them on.

Despite how hard I found it to fall/stay asleep last night, and being so out of it right after my shower, I am actually wide awake at the moment. Walking out the door always helps me wake up a little bit in the winter....only like ten minutes removed from a nice warm shower I get faced with freezing temps and a cold car to sit in. That's usually a shock that will keep me going for a little while, but the music seemed to help on the way in too. I think at least half the songs on my playlist are older than I am. For a classic rock fan, that's always nice.

Another thing that has helped my mood improve from this time yesterday was the realization that I don't have to dread going to class this semester. I surely did NOT want to drag my ass to school last night, but having Denise in the class with me is REALLY gonna help. It's kind of like having a Gym Buddy. We drive together, so if one of us skips, there will be an immediate impact on the other....and really, neither of us is likely to skip class anyway.

Our instructor may not be the best "teacher" per se, but at least we know exactly what to expect from him each and every day. Almost all of the lecture comes from the book, and he passes out the chapter notes at the beginning of each class, so all you have to do is tweak the outlined notes a bit during the lecture. I think I added three things to the notes through the whole lecture, and he let us out 30 min early because no one in the class slowed him down.

The one thing I really don't like about this instructor is that he plainly states in the syllabus that laptop use during lecture is NOT allowed. While a couple guys right behind me have brought and used theirs each and every class without him saying a word, he also mentions something in the syllabus about professionalism points that count toward your grade, and just because he hasn't said anything to the guys behind me yet doesn't mean I trust him to not deduct from our "professionalism points" for behavior that he has already forbidden.

Other than that, I like the class. The group is diverse in age and in culture, which is always good to be a part of...whether I am just observing or getting right into the thick of it when it comes to group discussions. So far I have been the quiet observer for the most part. We'll see how long that lasts.

Morning Music, 1-22-10

1. Time- Pink Floyd.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way, but you're older
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over, thought I'd something more to say

2. I Walk the Line- Johnny Cash.

As sure as night is dark and day is light
I keep you on my mind both day and night
And happiness I've known proves that it's right
Because you're mine, I walk the line

You've got a way to keep me on your side
You give me cause for love that I can't hide
For you I know I'd even try to turn the tide
Because you're mine, I walk the line

3. Pictures of You- The Last Goodnight.

Confess to me, every secret moment
Every stolen promise you believed
Confess to me, all that lies between us
All that lies between you and me

4. It Ain't Me Babe- Bob Dylan.

Go away from my window,
Leave at your own chosen speed.
I'm not the one you want, babe,
I'm not the one you need.
You say you're lookin' for someone
Never weak but always strong,
To protect you and defend you
Whether you are right or wrong,
Someone to open each and every door,
But it ain't me, babe,
No, no, no, it ain't me, babe,
It ain't me you're lookin' for, babe.

5. People Are Strange- The Doors.

People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down

6. Chasing Cars- Snow Patrol.

All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes, they're all I can see

7. Welcome to Paradise- Green Day.

I want to take you through a wasteland I like to call my home
Welcome to paradise

8. Nobody Home- Metric (Cover of Pink Floyd).

I've got electric light.
And I got second sight.
Got amazing powers of observation.
And that is how I know
When I try to get through
On the telephone to you
There'll be nobody home.

I got wild staring eyes.
And I got a strong urge to fly.
But I got nowhere to fly to.
Ooooh, Babe when I pick up the phone
There's still nobody home.

9. Naked- Goo Goo Dolls.

Inside your head
No one's there
And I don't think I'll ever be
And I don't care

10. Don't Think Twice, It's All Right- Bob Dylan.

It ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
If’in you don’t know by now
An' it ain't no use to sit and wonder why, babe
It’ll never do some how.
When your rooster crows at the break of dawn
Look out your window and I'll be gone
You're the reason I'm trav'lin' on
Don't think twice, it's all right

It ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
That light I never knowed
An' it ain't no use in turnin' on your light, babe
I'm on the dark side of the road
but I wish there was somethin' you would do or say
To try and make me change my mind and stay
We never did too much talkin' anyway
So don't think twice, it's all right

It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
Like you never done before
It ain't no use in callin' out my name, gal
I can't hear you any more
I'm a-thinkin' and a-wond'rin' walkin’ down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
But don't think twice, it's all right

So long, Honey Babe
Where I'm bound, I can't tell
But Goodbye's too good a word, babe
So I'll just say fare thee well
I ain't sayin' you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don't mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don't think twice, it's all right

No comments: