Friday, January 01, 2010

Clean Slate for the New Year



This is a common theme for many people right about now I am sure, but for the purposes of this post I am only talking about my iPod. It's been a while since I've looked at my play count and wiped it clean, so why not use January 1st as a chance to do it again?

Looking at the songs and the play counts for the top 25 is a little misleading right now considering I haven't really listened to my iPod all that much since August 21st, but now that I have a brand new iPod Touch, I have to believe my listening habits will get a little more back to normal.

Here are my top 25 songs since June 11th, which was the last time I did this, in reverse order, with the play count in parenthesis.

25. Sex on Fire- Kings of Leon (25).
This is the first song from the Kings of Leon that ever caught my attention. It's a good song, but wasn't good enough to make me check out the entire album right away.

24. Closer- Kings of Leon (27).
This Kings of Leon song I found on Jennicide's playlist on her blog or website or something....I love this song, but it still wasn't enough to make me check out the album.

23. Use Somebody- Kings of Leon (28). THIS song, however, made me buy the album right away. It was recommended to me by a friend whose music taste is very similar to my own, and I figured that if there were three songs on this CD that I liked this much, it didn't matter what else was on it. Just so happens, I liked damn near every song on this album and played it a TON this summer.

22. Shadow of the Day- Linkin Park (28). One of the six songs that appeared on my first list. I gotta believe it will appear on the next one as well, but the song has taken on a different meaning now than it had when it got most of these plays.

21. Love Lockdown- Kanye West (30). For about two months I couldn't get enough of this song....been a while since I've listened to it though. I gotta say, his recent actions haven't helped too much.

20. Hammerhead- The Offspring (30). This song played a lot when I was out driving this summer. It just always seemed to really fit when I was flying along in the Jeep.

19. Krazy- Pitbull & Lil Jon (31). How can you NOT like this song? Listening to it always gets me going.

18. That Was a Crazy Game of Poker- O.A.R (31). This song always reminds me of the last time I played poker. I lost my shirt, not really....but close enough, and it was probably my favorite poker memory of all time.

17. Eet- Regina Spektor (31).
The first song I heard from her latest CD and I had to share it as soon as I heard it. I really like the song, and it was a good intro to the CD.

16. Rusted From the Rain- Billy Talent (31). Probably the song that I have listened to the most over the last 3 months. I just can't get enough of it.

15. Famous Last Words- My Chemical Romance (32). This song has been one of my most played song since the CD came out, and I haven't gotten sick of it yet.

14. The Good Left Undone- Rise Against (33). Talk about a song that has taken on a different meaning recently....I haven't listened to it all that much since this summer. I knew it would show up on this list, but I doubt it will show up on any list after this.

13. Take a Bow- Muse (33). To me, this and Starlight are basically one song. I never listen to one without the other, and I never listen to Starlight first....that's just the way it is.

12. Starlight- Muse (33).

11. Time is Running Out- Muse (33).
Another Muse song that I listened to a lot of the summer, but have kinda backed off from recently.

10. The Calculation- Regina Spektor (36). Initially, this was my favorite song from her latest CD. It's recently been replaced by another, but I still listen to it a lot.

9. Uprising- Muse (37). This song was released well in advance of the CD, and I played it just about every day until the album was released. I heard some mixed reviews for the album when it came out, but upon the first full listen, I was impressed, and have grown to like it even more since.

8. Thoughts of a Dying Atheist- Muse (40). One of the more underappreciated songs off of Absolution, and I'm actually surprised at the play count. I knew I started listening to it a little more recently, but I didn't expect it to be in the top 10 on this list.

7. Take Me on the Floor- The Veronicas (41). I listened to this song a TON over the summer. I just like the way it sounds, as well as what the lyrics say.

6. Folding Chair- Regina Spektor (41). Definitely my favorite song from Far. When I first heard it, my jaw nearly hit the floor because the lyrics were VERY similar to a conversation I had just a few weeks before the CD came out. Now every time I hear it, I am reminded of that conversation. I loved that conversation.

5. Amazing- Kanye West (43). Probably all 43 of these plays happened during the NBA playoffs early in the summer. I was exposed to it because of the playoff commercials, and it just stuck in my head. Thankfully I have been able to get away from it lately.

4. Supermassive Black Hole- Muse (46). Three of the top four (and eight of the top twenty five) songs are from Muse. I guess it's a goof thing that I am going to see them in less than three months. I wonder how that will effect future lists as I keep looking forward to the concert.

3. Hysteria- Muse (50). This song grabs me from the very beginning, and doesn't let go until the end. I love it.

2. Map of the Problematique- Muse (56). Obviously still my favorite Muse song, although it has been replaced as the number one overall song since the last list. As I said last time, this song just makes my blood pump and makes me feel alive.

1. Wrong- Depeche Mode (78). Sigh. This song just makes me think. About all the decisions I have made, the ones I am currently making, the ones I will make in the future. It just gets inside my brain and gets everything going. The littlest things....the biggest things. It's all just there when I listen to this. And, as I write this, it is now the very first song that got a play on the clean slate. Hopefully I won't wait more than 6 months to make another one of these lists.

No comments: