Monday, July 20, 2009

Morning Music: Changing the Rules

For a while now, I have been meaning to do something with the way I write about the songs I listen to in the morning to get myself moving. Since it's been damn near FOREVER since I posted about music, I figure now is as good of a time as any.

My change in very simple. I will still list the first ten songs I listen to on my iPod (usually a random shuffle) but the way I describe my thoughts about the song will be different. Instead of writing a small paragraph about the song, I will be quoting lyrics from the song.

There's no steadfast rule to how many lyrics I'll quote in one song, it could be just a few words....or a bunch of lines. I'll select the lyrics for a few different reasons. I'll quote what I think best describes the song's message, what I personally like best, what the song means to me, lyrics I think just sound cool together, something which remind me of something or someone, lyrics that really make me think, etc. It is up to you, dear reader, to determine which reason(s) I use for posting each lyric....if you so choose.

Or if you are lazy, you can just ask me.

Here are a couple playlists from last week that I will use to start this off:

Morning Music 7-14-09

1. You Could Be Mine- Guns n' Roses. "And you can take the pity so far, but it's more than I can stand"

2. You- Candlebox. "And I'll cry for you Yes, I'll die for you Pain in my heart it is real And I'll tell you now how I feel inside Feel in my heart it's for you And I'll take everything As it comes my way"

3. Sweet Emotion- Aerosmith. "You're calling my name but I gotta make clear, I can't say baby where I'll be in a year"

4. 21 Guns- Green Day. "When it's time to live and let die And you can't get another try Something inside this heart has died You're in ruins"

5. Dignity- Bob Dylan. "I went down where the vultures feed I would've got deeper, but there wasn't any need Heard the tongues of angels and the tongues of men Wasn't any difference to me"

6. 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues- White Stripes. "Well, there's three people in the mirror And I'm wonderin' which one of them I should choose"

7. Wearing and Tearing- Led Zeppelin. "Now listen: You say your body's aching? I know that it's aching Chill bumps come up on you"

8. If I Ever Leave This World Alive- Flogging Molly. "The madness that you feel will soon subside So in a word don't shed a tear I'll be here when it all gets weird"

9. Miles Away/The Truth Is- Depeche Mode. "Your face seems so familiar And longing for more Your eyes they tell me something That I understand Your eyes they hold the truth"

10. You Are Goodbye- Holly Conlan. "Cause tomorrow and today Are only here so long When there's nothing left to say I hear that life moves on"

Morning Music 7-15-09

1. Notion- Kings of Leon. "I just wanted to know if i could go home"

2. Head Over Feet- Alanis Morrisette. "Your love is thick and it swallowed me whole You're so much braver than I gave you credit for"

3. Boys Don't Cry- The Cure. "I tried to laugh about it, Cover it all up with lies. I tried to laugh about it, Hiding the tears in my eyes. Cause boys don't cry."

4. I will Follow You into the Dark- Death Cab for Cutie. "If there's no one beside you when your soul embarks Then I'll follow you into the dark"

5. Blue and Yellow- The Used. "By the way, your hands were shaking, Rather waste some time with you. And you never would have thought in the end, How amazing it feels just to live again"

6. If- Red Hot Chili Peppers. "And if I saw the sun fall down I'd pick it up and make a crown One that was a perfect fit for you."

7. Whistles the Wind- Flogging Molly. "My isolation, now there's a sobering thought A minute alone, a lifetime too long See the face in this mirror, so pale it could crack Desperately wanting a color it lacks"

8. Krazy- Pitbull. "Latinas they get Krazy....Blanquitas they get Krazy....Negritas they get Krazy....Yo Mama she gets Krazy"

9. Jesus- Brand New. "my bright is too slight to hold back all my dark"

10. Landlocked Blues- Bright Eyes. "So I'm up at dawn, putting on my shoes I just want to make a clean escape I'm leaving but I don't know where to"

No comments: