Thursday, February 25, 2010

Dealing With Snow

As the end of February draws near, the snow totals for the area continue to climb. It's nothing like the east coast of course, but it's still no fun to deal with. It seems that we've been getting most of our snowfall in the late night/early morning hours, and always on a day that I have to be up for work. I get up early enough as it is....I don't need mother nature forcing me to set my alarm even earlier than it already is.

Then I have to leave the house. It's annoying to walk out into the snow and be the only set of footprints. I'd love to leave in the morning and have the snow look undisturbed, but my ninja training is not yet complete....so it might be a while before I know how to do that. By that time, I probably won't care anymore anyway.

Tuesday's snowfall started while Denise and I were in class. It wasn't so much a snowFALL as it was a light dusting of powder....on top of the melted snow (aka water) from earlier in the day, which had frozen over in many areas, including roads and parking lots. As we walked to the car after class I mentioned something to Denise about how slippery it was, and for her to be careful not to fall. As usual, I didn't take my own advice. Thankfully I didn't hit the ground, but my foot flew out from under me as I bent to sit in the car, and ended up in the seat a little quicker than I expected. I laughed hard enough to turn bright red....for the second time that night.

Earlier, while in the lab portion of our class, Denise and I were talking with one of our lab partners. The girl seemed shy the first couple of classes, then again who DOESN'T seem shy next to Denise and I, but at one point early in the semester the girl took quite a liking to Denise, and is more than fine sharing all types of stuff with us now. Our lab work saw us doing some things that were very easy to make less than appropriate comments about. Once that started, it just snowballed and turned into a discussion about some "taboo" things that people do. We were laughing so much that the instructor stopped talking to the class at one point to tell us how red we actually were....he seemed disappointed that he wasn't part of it, like usual.

Driving that night was slow. Ice and accidents everywhere. Why is it that cars not too far in front of me are always attracted to median walls like a magnet? I didn't think the road was quite so slippery myself, but then again....I know how to drive.

Last night's snow wasn't so bad really, but it was too warm to actually be snow when it started....so there was a kind of mist that preceded the snow. I heard the roads were slippery, but didn't experience any of that myself, again maybe because I know how to drive, and the worst part of the morning was cleaning off my car. Before I got it the car, I had no idea there was ice under the snow....and didn't really notice it when I brushed off the car. I didn't really notice it until I got a block away actually when I drove under a street light and my windshield started glowing. It was cool....except for the whole not being able to see thing. I stopped under the next streetlight and cleaned off the car yet again.

Looks like we have some more snow coming too. The next few days all have at least some flurries forecasted. The first day without a snowflake in the 10-day forecast is March 1st. Just in time for the month to make it's appearance "like a lion". RAWR!

No comments: