Thursday, April 16, 2009

Conference Previews

Every year I break down each NHL playoff match-up, and I have not been afraid to share my opinion with one and all. Two years ago I posted my thoughts and predictions here, while last year I posted them exclusively on the This Ain't Iowa forums. This year, I figured I'd be daring and post what I think in both places.

So here they are. A day late since I couldn't post them yesterday afternoon, and without my normal in-depth analysis. I should get wordier as we get deeper into the playoffs. I'll have more chances to see each team play, and with fewer games each round I will be able to focus a little more.

Western Conference:

#1 San Jose -vs- #8 Anaheim

For most of this season, San Jose has looked like the best team in the NHL. Anaheim looked lost until fairly recently. There is not much else to point out here really, but any time I have a chance to take a shot at Giguere, I'll take it. His numbers this year: .900 save percentage and a 3.10 GAA. Very pedestrian numbers for this "great" goalie.

Pick: SJ 4-0

#2 Detroit -vs- #7 Columbus

I really don't want to be scared of this match-up, but I have a feeling Columbus is going to play us pretty well. I don't think they have enough to give us another embarrassing first round exit, but I don't think we'll sweep them either. Ken Hitchcock loves to beat the Wings, and will do his best to parlay their performance versus Detroit throughout the season into some momentum for the playoffs, especially when they play at home. Although they won't be lucky enough this post season to host the Wings the night after they played a game in Detroit, while Columbus had the night off, like they did a couple times during the season.

Pick: Det 4-1

#3 Vancouver -vs- #6 St Louis

I think the Blues are in for a world of hurt with this match-up. I don't know any team that would want to play the Canucks right now. Both teams have been hot since February with a combined record of 44-14-8 in that time, but Vancouver just seems to have that edge to them right now while it seems that the Blues are just happy to be in the playoffs. While I think the Canucks will win the series quickly, I do think these games will be closely contested and fun to watch.

Pick: Van 4-1

#4 Chicago -vs- #5 Calgary

This series could really go either way. Early this year, I would have given the nod to the Flames easily....but that was before they had a little collapse the last couple months. They have only won 9 of their last 21 games dating back to the beginning of March. They made some improvements at the trade deadline, but you wouldn't know by looking at their record. Even so, I have to believe that the Flames will come to play this post season, and I like them to take down the Blackhawks, who seem just a year or two away from a serious cup run to me. This should also be another great series to watch with plenty of odd man rushes to get you to the edge of your seat.

Pick: Cal 4-2

Eastern Conference:

#1 Boston -vs- #8 Montreal

This is another series I will enjoy watching. I think these teams will play each other very tight, and things could get very chippy throughout this series. I think Boston is playing a little too well to lose this series, but they won't just breeze right through it like they want to.

Pick: Bos 4-2

#2 Washington -vs- #7 New York Rangers

I like this match-up for the Caps. I don't see them having too much trouble advancing through the Rangers. The Rangers should win one game at home, but would be lucky to get anything else from the Caps before retiring to the golf course.

Pick: Was 4-1

#3 New Jersey -vs- #6 Carolina

Not much to say here. I always have way too much faith in the Devils during the playoffs, and always have too little faith in the Hurricanes in the playoffs. Hopefully this will be short and painless for both teams.

Pick: NJ 4-0

#4 Pittsburgh -vs- #5 Philadelphia

The Penguins have a lot of talent, but are definitely not the same team that made it to the finals last season. I don't see them making it much further than the second round this year, but they should have enough to take out the Flyers.

Pick: Pit 4-2

1 comment:

Simply Me said...

I sure hope u are right about the wings...I'm not feeling real good going into the series with how many losses they have had the past few weeks. Maybe they are just messing with the other teams heads, lol.