Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My iPod Has a First Name....


Another random day, another random playlist. First ten:
X
1. Vasoline- Stone Temple Pilots. As usual, the first song isn't random. I needed something to help get me going this morning, and this song sounded like a good idea at the time. I am honestly not sure how many times I have seen STP in concert, but this song plays prominently in my favorite memory from their concerts. We went to see them at Cobo when they were touring in support of Purple and they opened with this song, which was their most popular song at the time. I thought that was kinda strange, since I figured it would be in the encore, but the way they came out to the song set the tone for the rest of the concert. I couldn't imagine it going as well had they NOT opened with Vasoline.
X
2. Moment of Weakness- Bif Naked. Another blast from the 90s. This was probably my favorite song on I, Bificus, which I listened to all the time when it first came out. I still like most of what is on the CD. Some albums are timeless. You can go back and listen to them and they will still sound as good to you as they did at the peak of your enjoyment with that album. This is not one of those albums. It sounds very dated to me now. The background music sounds almost canned really. The best way I could describe this song is to say it sounded like Renee Zellweger trying her best to sound like a professional singer while using a bad copy of an old No Doubt demo song as the background. That being said, the beat is nice and uptempo....which was perfect for me this morning.
X
3. Wide Awake- Audioslave. Not a great song, but not terrible either. Musically I really enjoy it, but the lyrics have never done anything for me. Three solid songs to start off the playlist though. Me: Good job iPod. iPod: Thank you Michael. Me: My name isn't Michael. iPod: I know Michael, and I have repeatedly asked you to call me K.I.T.T. Me: You are an iPod, not the car from Knight Rider.... iPod: Fine. Enjoy the rest of your playlist, jerk.
X
4. Song Sung Blue- Neil Diamond. Seriously? Not exactly what I was hoping for, but it's Neil Diamond, so I can't skip it.
X
5. Sweet Caroline- Neil Diamond. OH COME ON! I have two Neil Diamond songs and they get played back to back in the first 4 random songs of this shuffle? Can we get a little more shuffle in this 'shuffle' here?
X
6. She's My Pusher- The Crystal Method. This is more like it.
X
7. Love Association- I Hate Kate. My first time really listening to this song. It's kinda weird. I'll have to give it another go later.
X
8. The Judas Kiss- Metallica. After they sold out, got commercialized, and got caught up in the whole Napster ordeal a few years back I kinda was done with them. Then I heard some of the new CD, Death Magnetic. I would hesitate to say that the old Metallica is back, which can't be expected to ever happen anyway, but they definitely went back to their roots. I happily bought this CD the day it came out, and haven't been disappointed. None of the songs really stick out as great, but most of them are very good. This song here is a full 8 minutes of rocky goodness.
X
9. My Only One- Plain White T's. Eh....
X
10. Can't Say No- The Helio Sequence. I like this song, and this band for that matter, but not what I was looking for today.
X
All in all, not bad....except for the Neil Diamond set there in the middle. I really need to make a couple playlists for days like today when I really need a jolt to get going. The first few songs were great, but Neil Diamond can kill just about anyone's mood. Believe me, I found that out in high school.
X
Now onto some Flogging Molly before a podcast or two.

No comments: