Monday, January 02, 2017

Page 2 - More of the Same


The slow start to my 2017 continues with another day of rest and relaxation, with a rare Monday off of work.  I slept in later today than I probably will for the next 6 months at least.  I just had to catch up after staying up late two nights in a row.  Now, while staying up late on NYE was fun....last night was not.  I had pretty much resigned myself to the fact that we were going to lose to the Packers last night, and took advantage of that on the ML, but there was still hope in me through most of the game that we would pull it off.  I just wish we could pull off a surprisingly improbable win from time to time. 

Today also contributed to my slow start to my weight lose resolution for this year.  I didn't eat nearly as much as I did yesterday, but I still finished off my leftovers from Primo's and had a few other bad things throughout the day.  I also had plenty of fluids the last couple days, so I'm not as dehydrated as I was early yesterday when I did my first official weigh in of the year.  I believe that the fluids are what contributed to a slight gain (.4 lbs) from yesterday, and I'm sure that'll bump up a little tomorrow too....but I should still be under my final weight from 2016 while starting my weight loss efforts in earnest.

We drove around Plymouth today to get some stops and catch whatever was out there.  It wasn't much activity, but it at least got us out of the house.  I also passed my first of many small tests for the year when we stopped at Kroger on our way back from Plymouth.  I didn't pick up a few of the things that I normally would have, and it felt good to walk out of there without some of the foods that contributed to my weight gain recently.  One of my biggest pitfalls the last few years has been snacking after dinner.  I eat plenty of food at dinner to last me the rest of the night.  I just need to get myself programmed to not expect anything but water after dinner, and that right there should get me 1/4 or more of my goal over the span of 2017.

In the late afternoon I tried a couple fixes for the garage door opener that has been giving us problems on and off for a couple years now, but a lot more often of late.  I resolved the biggest issue the opener was having the last time I tinkered with it, and was very happy that it worked....then another, different issue popped up.  I am very close to just giving up on this opener, which is probably almost as old as I am, and just finally replacing it.  With the time I've already spent on this, I could have replaced it twice already.

Revisiting my weight loss goal mentioned above.  My biggest mantra when I pack for hiking, or give advice to others on how to pack, is "Every Ounce Counts".  An extra ounce here or there won't make any difference on a short hike, but when you are out there all day it really does.  It's the same with food.  An extra ounce here or there each day won't make a difference in the short term, but in the long run it will.  My average snack is probably about 4 or 5 ounces.  Extrapolate 4.5 ounces over 365 days, and you get 1642.5 ounces....or 102.65 lbs.  Now, that is just the raw weight for the food.  Not every one of those lbs will end up staying.  It all depends on how many calories are in those snacks (mine are usually pretty dense) and how many I'll burn off, which isn't all that much at my current activity level.  As an example I figured out how much I'd gain if those snacks were always the chocolate covered pretzels that I really like, and if I had 4.5 ounces of those every day and didn't burn them off....I'd gain more than 60 lbs of fat.  So, again, by just cutting out the nightly snacks, I can achieve at least 1/4 of my goal.  The more I think about it, the more I really believe I can drop 100 lbs by this time next year as long as I hold myself accountable.

No comments: